Meet Nicholas Zayden Tan!
With the rise in eateries popping up around Singapore, local foodie, Nicholas Zayden Tan, keeps all our cravings in check! An avid food blogger and lover, Nicholas is all about the FOOD (and we don’t blame him!).
Meet Nicholas Zayden Tan, our judge for the ‘Food’ category for this year’s Photo Contest!
Just like any other branch of photography, food photography is a collaborative effort. However, you would be surprised to know that Nicholas does everything on his own!
During our exclusive sit-down interview with Nicholas, we learnt about his photography journey; specifically, what inspired him to begin documenting his food endeavors on social media—what he described as a drive to “connect hundreds of people to their passions and interests”. Nicholas credits Instagram as his tool to unite those who share his interest in FOOD! He created his popular Instagram account, @nichology, four years ago and has since garnered close to 15.4K followers!
When we sat down with him, he gave us a glimpse into the many techniques he uses when taking photographs of food. Using merely his iPhone, he shoots only in natural light. For him, retouching is usually a breeze as he tries to capture photos of his food as naturally as possible.
Having said that, the simplicity of his setup is definitely not to be taken for granted though! Nicholas couldn’t have become a great food photographer without a thorough understanding of light, color palettes, and editing modes.
Ultimately, Nicholas’ goal is to inform his audience of new and trendy restaurants/cafes around Singapore and other places such as Thailand, Australia, and Taiwan to name a few.
Of course, you do not need to be a professional photographer to take beautiful stills! During our interview, Nicholas shared some useful tips for any aspiring photographer on how to capture the perfect shot!
Photo Tips From Nicholas
- Think about the composition of your photo!
- Add in a human element to your photos
- Know your angles!
- Try to use natural light to your advantage! Good lighting always makes for aesthetic pictures!
- Don’t over-edit your photos! Know your photo ‘editing’ settings and try to edit as natural as possible!
Words of advice from Nicholas: Follow your passions and have fun with it!
Wondering how to take part? Say no more…
- Take a photo of your preferred category (e.g. Facilities/Food/People) according to the contest’s theme of “#iloveTAMPINESbecause…”
- Photos submitted are to be taken in Tampines
- Tell us in less than 100 words what you love about your photo subject (facilities/food/people), starting with the hashtag “#iloveTAMPINESbecause”
- Email your photos and accompanying write-ups to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow Nicholas Zayden Tan!